Thursday, February 10, 2011

Forget the Girl Scouts!


Samoas (Caramel De-Lites) are a favorite offering by the Girl Scouts each year. I found a wonderful copycat recipe that is simple enough to make, and probably more cost-effective.

While the recipe calls for getting caramels in a bag and unwrapping them, I found a much easier method and probably costs less. I used two cans of sweetened condensed milk. I used a double boiler set at low heat to turn the SCM into caramel. In about an hour it becomes a lovely, gooey caramel. I only needed to stir it periodically. (It seems some people simply put an unopened can of SCM into a pot of water and let it softly boil for 3-4 hrs to make it into caramel. My problem with the unopened can method is the risk of the can exploding.)

I admit I'm not good at the presentation part of the cookie making, but that hardly matters. The wonderful rich flavors of homemade samoas makes up for the aesthetics.

No comments: