Saturday, April 30, 2011

Call Me Cap'n

I have replicated to my satisfaction Cap'n Yoby's fish batter!

It's been awhile since I had their famous fried fish, so I hope my taste memory is reliable. I was able to achieve the perfect crunch, greasy quality, creamy interior texture, and outstanding flavor. I used cod for this attempt since halibut wasn't available. And it didn't taste like cod!

My Cap'n Yoby's Inspired Fish Batter
1 cup of cake flour
1/4 cup corn starch
1 rounded teaspoon of baking powder
1 rounded teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon of salt
¼ to ½ teaspoon of both onion powder and garlic powder
1½ cup cold beer (can adjust according to desired batter thickness)

Mix ingredients together to form a thick-ish batter. Coat pieces of fish with batter and deep fry until deep to golden brown.

Now, if only I could remember how their tartar sauce tastes, as Kraft tartar sauce doesn't really work for me.

No comments: